Thursday, March 18, 2010

Book Review: The Skin I'm In by Sharon G. Flake


I saw this book a number of times, looking back at me. After a while, I wanted to know what all the staring is about. The synopsis on the back was minimal: a girl gets picked on about her skin color; then, a teacher with an actual skin problem comes to teach at the school. That is not what keeps you reading and that's not what moves you. Maleeka and her pain moves you. What keeps you reading is the heartache she has to want be different and proud, but can't because she is a follower and ashamed of her talents. It's a coming of age story, mixed with strong ideals on women and gender issues, subtle thoughts on racism and a little bit of teen awkwardness. It isn't a long book, only 171 pages and it's written for Young Adults. It is a winner of the prestigious Coretta Scott King award and is one of the ALA's Best Books for Young Adults. Nevertheless, that is not why you should read it. The story brings about joy, as well as sadness, and reminds us that we all have the strength, if we just believe in ourselves.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, have seen that book many times. And I've heard many things about it, so now I will definitely add it to me "To Read" list.

    ReplyDelete